Search This Blog

Monday, July 5, 2010

Life Lessons: 5 – Procrastination Kills

I am writing the 100 lessons I have learnt in life so far. This is the Lesson number 5 .click here to read lesson number 4

Procrastination has been called the thief of time. and these are the names of its siblings: deferment, stalling, adjournment, putting off delay and postponement. I guess you know this family as well as I do.

If there is one disease I have, that cannot be diagnosed in the medical lab, it is the procrastination disease. I have battled and lost to this disease almost all my life. I have not given up the fight though and I am determined not to stop fighting, why? Well if there is one thing I am sure of after twenty nine years of existence, it is the truth that procrastination will do me no good in life.

The good news is that, I seem to find so many people who are also fighting this disease, knowing that I am not alone in the fight gives me the strength to keep on going on.

I once asked myself, what is the cause of procrastination? I did not do any research to find the answer for everyone, but for myself, I found out that I usually procrastinate doing what has to be done now mainly because I do not enjoy doing it. It was a simple matter of logic. If I have to do ‘A’ but puts it off and spend the time doing ‘B’, it simply means that I hate doing ‘A’ but love doing ‘B’.

So one way I try to fight the urge to procrastinate is to try to find something I will enjoy about ‘A’ or what I will enjoy after I have done ‘A’ . if there is nothing to enjoy about ‘A’ or after doing it, I try to create on for it. What I do is to make ‘B’ the reward for doing ‘A’. so I bribe myself to do ‘A’, by promising myself more time to do ‘B’ after I have done ‘A’.

It does not mean I enjoy boing ‘A’, but I look forward to the enjoyment of ‘B’ to get ‘A’ done. How do you handle your procrastination? Please share it below.

Subscribe to Financial Intelligence by EmailShare/Save/BookmarkEmail me with any queries or comments.Tell me what you think about this post; leave a comment

No comments:

Post a Comment